Sunday, August 1, 2010

Where Do We Start?

To find the answers to your existential questions, to be able to arrive at a peace and contentment through which you can live your life, you must start with the basic question - Is God Real? Haven't you wondered this? You probably grew up going to church or temple with your family and heard about God and learned all of the stories in the Bible or Torah.  They just assumed that you accepted the fact that God is real, that He is and always has been, that He created the earth and the entire solar system as we know it, and all of the living animals and organisms on the earth.

But in my experience I had to question everything. Nothing was certain for me. I came upon this quotation from Thomas Jefferson:

"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason, than that of blind-folded fear."

In other words, God has given us reason above all else and that separates us from all of the other creatures on this earth. He would much more want us to use our reason to question His existence, and through questioning have His existence revealed to us, than to just believe in Him because we are told it is so, or out of fear of not believing. I believe that when we come to worship Him with true knowledge and certainty it pleases Him most.

Belief in God is the first step toward self-actualization. As I stated previously I found that many men in history asked this question, and their writings and conclusions helped me find the answer that was true to me. It may not be the same answer that you seek, but perhaps I can help you discover for yourself what rings true to you, and what will give you peace and contentment and help you build a life of faith and conviction.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I encourage you to leave comments. I'll reply to all questions within a week, and errors in the posts will be acknowledged in the comment area. Feel free to disagree with my points if there is need for disagreement, but keep in mind that all off-topic comments, disparaging comments, comments with more than one link, and comments that include profanity will be deleted.